"family unit limbo"






Hooray it is Thanksgiving this week! This will be the upteenth year I am not having dinner with my whole family, it will just be myself and my little sister Chrissy as my parents have hopped in their retro- motor home and are adventuring their way to Denver to see my older sister Heather and her husband. My other sister Nessie is with her husband in Japan, so it will be a little weird once again. The family unit has been spread across the world for a while now, as ten years ago we all started college and realize we couldn't make it home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then people get married and coupled off.... so anyway, I'm in family unit limbo.
My parents are embracing the mostly newfound freedom of an empty nest (Chrissy is still there, but very much independent) and obviously my two married sisters have their hands full with starting families and new lives of their own. I'm excited about the prospect of building my own unit one day, but for now I'm in limbo land. There isn't exactly that place and those people that I can just go to when I need. I'm really on my own for a while. I guess this is where some people get a cat or a dog, but I'm afraid I'm having a hard enough time just taking care of myself.
The illness itself is lonely on a whole other level, but things like holidays make you realize how quickly those nuclear family moments went by when we were so young. Don't know if I'll be able to make a family of my own, but at least one day I should be well enough to have a kitty or puppy. =P

REGARDLESS! Thanksgiving doesn't really mean family, it actually means lots and lots and lots of delicious food, and you can bet that Chrissy and I are making it happen AND THEN SOME!
NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
Food fills all voids.
=P

Comments

Popular Posts